webmster@mayogodhelpus.com

Mayo-related General Information Site

Site Map
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share via e-mail
Share on Google Bookmarks

“Mayo Folktales”

Facts & Figures

History & Folklore

Mayo Towns & Regions

Blog

Get in Touch

Links

Guestbook

Map of Mayo

Killala

Swinford

Claremorris

Charlestown

Ballyhaunis

Newport

Cong

Ballinrobe

Leenaun

Mulranny

Achill Sound

Bangor Erris

1

2

3

4

5

6

Mayo is a maritime county in the province of Connacht and is bounded on the north and west by the Atlantic Ocean.  Sligo and Roscommon border it on the east side and to the south lies county Galway.
Its greatest length, from a border point near Ballyhaunis to Erris Head, is 66 miles and its greatest breadth from Killary Harbour to Downpatrick Head is 54 miles.

According to the census returns of 2006, Castlebar in the centre of the county is the largest town in Mayo, (10,655) with Ballina, to the north following closely behind. (10,065) The former is the administrative seat of the county.

Ireland West International Airport is is located midway between Charlestown and the Marian centre of Knock.
Mayo: Some Quick Facts

Some Landmark  Mayo Sites & Sights

1

2

3

4

5

6

Clew Bay

Croaghpatrick- The Reek

Ceide Fields

Knock Marian Shrine

Ireland West International Airport

Cong- Forever associated with John Wayne and Maureen O’Hara!

Facts & Figures

The Population

Present  and Past

Population (2006) 123,839 : Population Growth (2002-2006) 5.4%
Population aged under 25 yrs (2006) 33.8%: Pupil-Teacher Ratio (2004/2005) 16.4


"Mayo, a county of Ireland, province of Connaught, 62 m. long and 52 broad, bounded E by Roscommon, S by Galway, W and N by the Atlantic, and NE by Sligo, 54 m. long, and 48 broad, and containing 796,000 acres, divided into 68 parishes. It sends 2 members to parliament. The W coast is mountainous, and thinly inhabited; but the interior produces excellent pasturage, and is watered by several lakes and rivers. Pop. 297,538. Chief town, Castlebar."

[From The New London Gazetteer (1826)]